Many threats and hazards could impact businesses and employees in Kitsap County. Earthquakes are a high risk hazard in this region. But, landslides, flooding, and severe weather are more common. That’s why it’s important that business owners develop a comprehensive emergency plan. This plan should address all hazards. Employers should exercise the plan with their employees to ensure the safety of all.
Make a Plan
The Kitsap County Department of Emergency Management (KCDEM) recommends that businesses and employees use the following as a starting point to prepare for a workplace emergency:
Planning efforts should use an “all hazards approach” when possible. Create one process that remains relevant to many different threats or hazards. How a specific hazard will impact your business is hard to determine.
- Determine which local hazards threaten your business. Learn more.
- Conduct a Risk & Vulnerability Assessment (source: Ready.Gov)
- Conduct a Business Impact Analysis (source: Ready.Gov)
- Create a Business Continuity Plan (source: FEMA)
- Review insurance coverage on an annual basis
- Take steps to protect vital records (source: IRS)
- Develop and test emergency evacuation and shelter-in-place plans
For more, visit the Washington Department of Emergency Management’s preparedness information for businesses.
In the event of an emergency, the State of Washington has resources to help businesses recover from a disaster. Review here.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency also has business resources for declared disaster areas. Review here.
KCDEM holds public programs on emergency preparedness. Visit our Speakers Bureau to schedule a presentation. Also, KCDEM holds regular classes on topics of interest to businesses. See our calendar for details.
Flood Declaration issued for Point No Point
The area is unsafe. Vehicles could damage the roadway. Please do not visit the area during this emergency. Flood footage via Darren Gurnee on Youtube. Point No Point County Park [...]
Special EMC Meeting 10/20 Notice & Agenda
EMC Meeting Notice 10.20.2022 - EM Council Agenda 20th October 2022 The Kitsap County Emergency Management Council (EMC) Special Meeting will be held on Thursday, October 20, 2022 from 9:30AM-10:30AM* Topic: Appointment of an [...]
EMC Meeting 09.06.2022 Meeting Notice & Agenda
Meeting Notice 09.06.2022 - EM Council Agenda 6th September2022 EMC Meeting Packet 09.06.2022 - final September 2, 2022 The Kitsap County Emergency Management Council (EMC) Special Budget Meeting will be held on Tuesday, September [...]
- Planning for Business (source: Ready.Gov)
- Ready Rating (source: American Red Cross)
- Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Quick Guides (source: US Chambers of Commerce)
- Disaster Planning for Businesses (source: Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety)