KCDEM works with the Kitsap County Department of Public Works on flood emergencies. Plans include:
- Hold an annual meeting to discuss local, state, and federal regulatory requirements.
- Identify high-risk areas on Geographic Information System. Update local storm water system plans and improve storm water facilities in high-risk areas.
- Secure replacement funding for culverts.
- Review and create a floodplain program.
- Make the public aware of the risks of “convergence zone” flooding. Convergence zones happen when low atmospheric pressure combines with severe weather. Tidal overflow and watershed backup results from convergence zone flooding.