Due to anticipated freezing weather conditions, the Kitsap County Severe Weather Shelters are open Thurday, January 11, 2024. Hours of operation will be from 6:00 p.m. until 7:00 a.m. except as noted for the Village Green location. Guests will not be able to check into the shelter after 9:00 p.m. If no guests have checked into a shelter location by 9:00 p.m., that location will close for the evening.
The locations are:Village Green Community Center 26159 Dulay Rd NE Kingston, WA This location is open from 6:30 p.m. until 6:30 a.m.
Gateway Fellowship, West Wing Building18901 8th Ave NE Poulsbo, WA
Port Orchard United Methodist Church725 Kitsap St Port Orchard, WA
Silverdale United Methodist Church9982 Silverdale Way Silverdale, WA
Those needing transportation to the closest shelter can call 360-373-3000 to arrange for a ride before 7:00 p.m. Additionally, overnight sheltering is also available at the Salvation Army in Bremerton, located at 832 6th Street. Call 360-373-5550 for more information.
Procedures and rules for guests at Kitsap County Severe Weather Shelters:
- All persons entering the shelter are asked to sign in between 6 – 9 p.m. The shelter closes the
following day at the above closing time. No background check is done at the shelter.
- All belongings are checked in. You may keep things needed for the night like a teddy bear, book, or medications.
- Drugs and/or alcohol is prohibited. Smoking is permitted only in outside designated areas before 9 p.m.
- Follow the basic rules of conduct, no fighting or disturbing others while you are in the shelter. You are asked to leave if you do not follow shelter rules.
- Pets are not permitted at the shelter. Service animals are permitted.
- No food is served at the shelter.
The severe weather shelters serve all people in our area who require safe overnight refuge when hazardous weather conditions are expected. Further activation will be weather and volunteer dependent. Measures are taken at the shelters to prevent the spread of viruses, including COVID-19. Call 2-1-1 for information in multiple languages about the Severe Weather Shelter Program along with details on how to receive text message notifications when the shelters open.